Sunday, May 20, 2012

Journal Entry #2 -- Pixilation project


                I’ve delayed this post in regards to the project which was still in production this afternoon – Well, seeing as how the first entry was about outside films I wanted to switch to the class project side of things…

Harassing Mr. Toots (who normally takes interest in paper bags)
               
Ahem…
Theatrical as I tend to be, paranoid as I tend to be – I knew I wanted to go for a mask thing early on. Poor as I tend to be – paper bags were an obvious choice (Never minding the hellish temperatures they create for the fool wearing them). My first step was to create a storyboard – some rough thumbnails that illustrated the key movements with directional arrows; this really helped to not only solidify the overall idea but also in finding new jokes and angles that I hadn’t considered before.
Storyboard

The camera process went somewhat smoothly when we got into a system that worked (J my bro acted and filmed at times, my dad shot the portion that we both appear in) – basically we’d take a picture and then the camera person would say move when they were ready for the next shot – I directed movement when it needed directing but sometimes how much movement depended on the actor’s judgment.
I did read the entire chapter – but I must not have really read it because after all was said and done, I looked at it again and I noticed all the stuff that I did that he told us not to do (ack.) Skating was really hard (especially since I can’t do any kind of skating in real life), but trying to figure out the propelling motion in still shots…it was stupidly difficult (I kept forgetting that you keep moving forward even when you are switching your feet). In addition it was hard to capture the whole image (feet and all) so I think there are some shots where the effect is lost. Working with other people was a really foreign and challenging experience in regards to my practice – it’s a whole other mindset that you have to get into; you cannot control every aspect and therefore communication is essential down to the last detail. Really different from how I normally work – but not a bad thing in regards to the creative process -- different certainly, but interesting all the same. Well I hope it is enjoyed tomorrow - if everything goes according to plan...
The costume dept. J(left) Me(right). Attached with poster tack for optimal switching powers. They do have eye holes and a mouth for air...but there was not enough air....
From the project...

4 comments:

  1. From the looks of it, your animation looks like it will be funny and I look forward to viewing it! I ran into a lot of the same hurdles when photographing for this project. Some movements were almost too subtle for the stop motion, while some went by too quickly. My boyfriend was my actor, and he was really a good sport, considering I had him rolling around on the grass.

    I liked that you started with a story board. It might be interesting to add that into your piece, maybe towards the end? This would pay homage to the process and I think it could add an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you created a story board. I lose track of my thoughts often, or I have a vague idea and can't get it together. That is a great way to stay organized and determine what shots you need. It might also make it easier to work with my helper (little sister), who never knows what I am trying to do, but without her I couldn't do it! It is very different to me as well, and while I have yet to use somebody in my project, I can't be in it and shoot it. Communication, as you pointed out, is key. Patience is the most essential thing. I think having another person around does add another voice and point of view, and sometimes two brains are better than one when your experimenting like this!
    Looking forward to the project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like you have your project really planned out, I am a little intimidated already. I cannot wait to see the final product though. I already like the idea of paper-bag heads, that makes me feel very nostalgic.

    As Kelly said, I liked that you planned it out - with my projects it is always something I lack or don't do enough of. I guess I am kind of like the French New Wave Director Godard when it comes to lack of planning. Most of his dialogue in his films were improvised, just like mine or the process of making videos or short animations. I think I am most creative in the spur of the moment. I like to surprise myself and the audience. The only part that stinks is trying to convince the cast and crew I am not insane and that plot is actually or eventually going somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow for a study, it looks like you really out did yourself which is great! :) looks really comical and interesting. I'm the opposite when it comes to photography, I have a whole sketchbook of planned images and I do the tweaking and and descions in the moment. To do this I usually need more then a week to execute as I fine tune everything. For not being a planner, it seems you really executed this study well creatively and formally. Look forward to seeing it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete