Sunday, May 13, 2012

Journal Entry #1 -- Greetings and cameraless animation

はじめましたね!And nice to meet you all in the the blogosphere (you, my fellow classmates and prof.)- welcome to The Ugly Barnacle -- first order of business, please check out these videos (I picked two for our special debut journal entry)...
 (btw for experimental purposes -someone watch vid#2 first and see if that changes anything as far as perspective goes)
  Cameraless Film Animation - username: ajansen87 (idk do these samples have to be professional?), running time - 31 sec. Description - scratching right on black film and also drawing on clear film to make a cameraless animation that is set to music. Not sure what the film size is, but it is pretty formalistic as far as subject matter.

Cameraless Animation (great titles as you can see) - username: montyite, running time - 10 min 55 sec Description - animation drawn on 35 mm film, artist says there is a problem with the vertical registration and there is obviously no sound on this one - but another great video dealing with lots of colors and shapes. I'm thinking the film size helps out with the complexity noted here.


Seeing as we are currently on the subject, I felt it right to start things off with some cameraless animation – and after some digging on YouTube I’ve come up with two videos that may or may not be someone’s class projects (no, the first one definitely is…). I feel the very nature of the cameraless medium is experimental – through its primitiveness and physicality in comparison to contemporary methods, it’s like tearing away all the layers and techniques that we’ve built up and getting down to the raw dirt of what animation is (like a man contemplating a skull…or a chicken contemplating an egg…hmm). So too does the animator contemplate that first jump between still image and moving picture. In the above videos we can explore how two similar films done in the same medium are quite different in their presentation – all thanks to the soundtrack (and lack of it). Not to detract from the latter film – on the contrary, both are really impressive I think – especially in terms of the flow and subject matter. The first video (let’s call this #1 – damn those completely useless titles) is only 30 sec. long, but it’s 30 sec. well spent – all due in my opinion to the brilliant coordination with the soundtrack; I don’t know but I think it would be hard to match music with something you’re drawing directly on film – but maybe not? (Is this really etched on film? – maybe it’s all computers and I am being duped lol…) No I’ll trust this person and say it’s legit and a lot of work went into it. The second video (#2) is amazing – 11 min of enjoyable film entertainment (filled with great colors). The noticeable difference being the issue of sound…I invite you all to note your experiences in that area (was it any different for someone who watched #2 before #1? Which video do you favor? etc.). Let us explore the relationship between sound and animation – here’s an idea: mute #1 and see what happens, anything different in your viewing? Is animation just for the eyes – like a lot of other art is (i.e does sound enhance or distract from what matters – and what does matter…hmm)?  
       
Film itself typically reaches out to two of our senses (sight and sound) – I myself find it hard to divorce the two, they work wonders together -- if sound is a part of the piece, then it is of the art and should not be separated – film being a medium very different from other visual mediums…

(421 words and late at that...@.@ forgive my impudence)

6 comments:

  1. I particularly like sound in videos, especially the more abstract that they are. However, there are advantage to there being no sound. The first being is that with there no soundtrack specifically attached to it, it can transcend into different environments easily. The appropriate sound could be ascribed to the video based on certain circumstances. I don't think sound is distracting if it's done right. Surely if you had some hardcore thrashing music with a peaceful animation it would throw it off completely. I do believe that sound (if done right) can definitely enhance the viewing experience but can also do without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to add that I really enjoy #2. It's so bright and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. To answer your question, I really enjoyed video 2 more, except it was a close tie because of the sound in vid 1. I think video 2 sparked my interest more because it had such a range of color and movement. There were more things going on. However, I think this video would have been more successful if it had some audio quality to it. Do you think you would add sound to video 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree - the second video would benefit from some audio; as great as the animation is, 11 minutes of it felt pretty tedious without sound.

      Delete
  4. I viewed most of video #2 first (got bored after about 4 minutes) and jumped over to #2. the coordination between animation and sound for #1 took the show for me as synching sound is one of the hardest parts of animating and that’s considering how much easier it is to reorder and change frame rates with computer programs so I can only imagine the difficulties of doing it entirely on film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those videos were very abstract. I wouldn't mind them in the background but they didn't have much substance other then form. I did like how the 1st one matched the music though.

    ReplyDelete