Sunday, June 3, 2012

Journal Entry #4 - Project 3 (Hans)

Going into this project I really wanted to be spontaneous with where I took it; no storyboard in this case. I knew I wanted to do a stop-motion piece simply because that is what I am most comfortable with at the moment (very little experience with digital thank you) - and I got a notion in my head about using hands and making colors change to black, which expanded to include the nail polish sequence.
The camera I used was pretty old (as far as digital cameras go, it's clunky and outdated) - simply because my digital camera is a battery vampire (the paper bag animation took an entire pack of batteries) and the older camera came with a power cord. I set up this animation to be made without assistance - somehow I got the tripod and camera in front of me to record the drawings, and as mentioned in class all the shots that needed two hands were done using the 10 second timer (yes a little tedious in the long run, but I'm such a control freak, I don't think I minded it that much). One issue I had was getting the surface to the plane that I wanted it - I assumed in my head that I would be viewing the video from directly above; obviously not taking into account the tripod's actual relationship to the table (it is a drafting/artist table - I ended up tilting it up as far as it would go and taping all the paper on). 
The workspace


      The various tools I used included Copic/Tombow markers, water and Sumi ink, and the nail polishes. The paper that was used in the nail polish scene wasn't that heavy - but it held up. I waited for the initial dots of nail polish to dry, but after that I just did my best not to get too messy (nothing got on the camera actually) and I wiped off my hands if polish got on them. My favorite part I think is when I swirled water on the marker drawing - here it was more unexpected and experimental for me because I hadn't thought it out at all - I was just trying to figure out how I could move from the color to the black that I knew I wanted to transition to (and whether to directly cover up the colored drawing) and my first instinct was to start with water. I was initially hesitant about getting rid of the old drawing (I tend to adopt a hoarder mentality in my creation).  

In progress



Destruction of the marker hands

Overall I do like the piece, but as a finished artwork I think it would have been good to revisit the hands at the end (and now after all is said and done I think of a interesting way to do it - maybe in the future friends)
Some stills from the film:

101 Dalmatians lol
What a mess. Ever since I put the ink on it the nail polish has been sticky (it was dry before that)

3 comments:

  1. Laura-

    I lived your video!! The idea of bringing the human form in with the drawings you created brought on a new element of creativity! After reading your post, it looks like this was a long process. Did you have this planned out or was it more intuitive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the set up you have there! And I think its great that you strayed away from the story board this time, and just went with it. (Big props on the 10 second timer thing too! I couldn't have done it) But I loved your video. I thought it was beautiful, and abstract, and I particularly liked when you added the sound. It went along with your aesthetic well. I thought you made great choices, especially when you played your black and white sequence backward. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I totally thought this was all done on a flat table. I wasn't expecting this cool set up. Looks like you spent a lot of time on this, but the finished product looked well worth it. I forgot to mention in class, but I loved the color scheme in this piece. Most people don't have an eye for color and you do.

    ReplyDelete