Sunday, June 17, 2012

Journal Entry #6 - The last two projects/studies; process and thoughts

 I think we're supposed to have seven entries - and to complete my three blogs on the studio process I will talk about both the kinestasis and cutout studies.
 Before these two projects I had really avoided using the computer aside from editing and compilation; I'm not that  good with computers in that I don't use them that much in my process , however I am a quick learner and can usually grasp how to go about things (albeit not always efficiently).
  Kinestasis came first - I listened to the lecture on keyframes and then when I went to work on the project after class I found I could recall nothing about keyframes -- after looking at some tutorials I started to get an idea of what I was supposed to do, but it wasn't until the next morning that I really got the hang of it, and even began connecting the dots in exploring things outside the transform tool, such as opacity and the overlaying effect -- which was found by accident - at some point I noticed you can put clips over other clips (as I said before, I'm not used to this program) - I then began looking for a way to make one picture more transparent, I found overlay and thought that it sounded right (the options listed were similar to something I was used to in photoshop); The overlay effect was used reflective of the Kinestasis vid posted in entry #3. I was somewhat disappointed in the zoom capabilities, but my way around that was to add another picture and crop it thereby making the zoom go further...


 
The cutout video was a lot of work and stress. I don't know where I came up with crocodiles but I did and beginning looks like some kind of Tim and Eric sketch. Just an absolutely difficult piece, but I'm not sure it would be any easier with an analog process; cutouts take time. I used keyframes as before - but there has to be an easier way then how I was using them. The pics that worked the best had no background - the keyer left some lines as we all know, but some pics with no background wouldn't import at all so I went back into photoshop and added the green in. I had many duh moments where I realized that for the crocodile's mouth to move and be open I needed to created two separate pictures etc. etc. (even more work). There are some things I would have liked to go smoother and sound would have been a plus but, as I said, it was work enough to get what I could. 

sorry no pics -- it's not working

3 comments:

  1. I liked your piece a lot, its amazing how unfamiliar you were with the software and could still make something that cool. It definitely had a Tim and Eric feel, those guys are funny. I feel like I am the opposite as you, not that creative but know how to do everything on the computer. Can't wait to see your final.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admired your croc piece. It was really smooth and quirky as are most your pieces. You definitely have a unique style. I agree with you, it was kind of hard to figure it out and tedious. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have for the final project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well for being as unfamiliar with the software as you say you are, you had one of my favorites out of our presentations. guess we really sit on opposite sides of things as i know a lot (I fix computers as a hobby) about computers and a decent amount of video editing, but never was that creative.

    i am looking forward to what you have concocting for the final project.

    ReplyDelete